Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Seeing through the Noise.

So... assuming the results are in correctly (and they're not all counted yet), Barack Obama is our new president. And with this brings the noise of life. Millions of people screaming his name. Millions scoffing with racial slurs in hand. Millions who despair because of one man. Millions who light the atmosphere of the internet with Facebook stati, blogs and political statements for any to hear. But what does God want?

In all the noise of the election, of the results, of the hype, the resolution and the conclusion, do we even care what God thinks, what He wants from us? Do we even get the point? This is not about Barack Obama. This is not about John McCain. This is about God. This is about the battle for our souls. I lament to admit that my hope does not dwell in my God, in my Shepherd, in my loving Father who DIED FOR ME.

What is He whispering? I want to hear it, but my voice is drowning Him out. I don't know what to do at this juncture and it bothers me. I don't know what it means to be a responsible citizen and love God with my whole heart and speak the truth and declare what is right and what is not and vote and challenge wrong policy (not talking just about Obama here). What does God want from us?

I think first and foremost (I'm not here yet), He wants us to love him most. I bet the number of people who talked to ten others about the election but haven't passed a comment in God's direction (unless profaning his name) is so high the results would kill us. I was one of those until He sat me down and said something like this, "Joe, what are you doing? You want to know what all those people on facebook think about the election and you haven't even asked me about it!!! You wanted to call your dad and ask him what you should think, but I have yet to hear from you. What gives? I though you loved me more than anything else? You say you do, but your actions prove otherwise. Love me first, Joe. Just love me. Talk to me and love me."

And that leaves me shattered. How am I to speak of our new president in the wake of these thoughts. God wants us to love Him, to offer ourselves as living sacrifices to Him alone. God wants us to love one another. God wants us to focus on helping others see Him and not focusing on anything else. God wants us to set our hope on Christ, the author and finisher of our faith, the perfect sacrifice. God wants us to live in harmony with one another. God wants us to stop being haughty and instead humble ourselves. God wants us to submit to our authority and praise God for them. God wants us not to resist any authority he has placed (all of them). God wants us to... stand for righteousness. But where is that written? That idea came from my mind, from a worldview intoxicated with this age. All the rest of those things (other than stand for righteousness) come directly from Romans 12-13. Woah. My mind has been conformed to this world...

So what do I say of our new president. Can I be honest and still say I'm glad he's our president. Because I didn't vote for him. If I had a second chance I wouldn't vote for him again. But what does God want? That's the question. Is resisting the authority placed over me worth being right? God forbid. But it's still true. I still think I'm right. and I will still fight. What have we become?

-Storyteller

No comments: