Friday, January 16, 2009

Selfish and Single

So Mark Driscoll said today that the most selfish people are single people. It's very true. I think of this to be distinctly true in the context of the fledgling relationship that is still in pre-beginning phase. I want to think about this over the next few... years. My selfishness. Volumes could be dedicated to it yet often I am unaware of this driving force. I want to serve Susan and must do that if there is any kind of relationship that happens.

I need to be actively seeking to serve and sacrifice for others, seeing how hate is not the opposite of love. It is selfishness.

Thinking time....

-Storyteller

1 comment:

Nate C. said...

apathy/selfishness/hate-vs-love

I once heard it said that 'the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy', and my immediate response was, shut up, that's bullcrap and ur wrong. I have since come to understand a little bit of what they mean and where they are coming from. (I still however think that they are wrong.)
Now, i hear you say "hate is not the opposite of love. it is selfishness" and I pause to think. I truly believe that hate is the opposite of love, plain and simple. You can't argue that. However, I had to give some thought to the idea of selfishness being the opposite of love. I am much more ready to accept that one, than i am the idea that apathy is the opposite. However, one challenge: what about the love of self? isn't that selfishness? I still think that hate IS the opposite of love.