Saturday, January 17, 2009

Driscoll's Commentary on Prayer

I'm just about to begin listening to Mark Driscoll's next sermon series, "Pray Like Jesus," which Jeremy vanstrien has already begun. Two things he (Jeremy) related from the sermon series have already caught me and obligate my thoughts, so here they are.

I. Jesus's prayer to God restated in today's lingo.
When Jesus prayed to God the father in the garden, he said "Not my will, but yours be done." In essence, he was saying, This is what I want, and I really want this, but I am willing to forego that for your will, no matter what.

This is particularly applicable in my life because of the current situation with Susan. I really want her. I want her to want to be with me. I want to date her and serve her. I want to fall in love with her. But I don't know if that's what God wants. And it certainly isn't what he wants for today. So that's gotta be ok. I must constantly be articulating my desires and compliance/submission to God as I live my life, especially in the context of this relationship thing.

II. God's answer to prayer: A perfect illustration.
Mark spoke of God's answer of prayer. He does it in one of three ways: "Yes," "No," and "Later." He then describes his kids and how much he loves them. Often they will ask him for something, and a particular time came to his mind as he prepared his message. Three of his kids came up, one at a time to ask their daddy a question before bed.
"Daddy, can I have a glass of water?"
"Yes."
Next Kid: "Daddy, can I have some Coke?"
"No."
Last Kid: "Daddy, can we go swimming?"
"Later."

This simple, yet relevant and vivid expression of God's love for us as his children and his manner of response to us, is exciting and challenging. As I pray to God, I want to keep that idea in mind, that he loves me and will only give me what is right when it is right. It's not about being mature enough (although sometimes it is) but maybe it's just that I can't go swimming now, even though I really want to, but it's bedtime and I'm at home. Someday, though, he will take me to the pool and we'll go swimming together.

It's simple and whatnot, but it resonates truth in my heart today. I figured this was noteworthy.

I'm also beginning to read "Disappointment with God" by Phillip Yancy. So far it is remarkable, honestly and clearly dealing with real issues that are daunting to every Christian, myself included.

Oh, and one last Driscoll quote concerning Redemption: "When someone sins, something has to die. There has to be a sacrifice. The world knows that, you know that. When a company tanks, the CEO should be fired. He should be punished, sacrificed. When a spouse cheats, he/she should be punished by sacrificing intimacy or trust or the marriage itself, or faithfulness completely. Sin always produces death, it always requires a sacrifice. But Jesus is that sacrifice for what others have done to you and for what you do, if you allow him to."

-Storyteller

No comments: