Friday, January 30, 2009

Wounded Healers and Recapitulation

Today, the first blog in about two weeks will likely center around the current events of today but strangely reflect the status quo in my life these last three weeks. I finally started yelling at God again yesterday and it was truly refreshing. I realized this week that all I really want in life is to walk with God: it's the only thing that will bring refeshment and fulfillment.

There are several things which have appeared and reappeared in the last few weeks and they are as follows. Enjoy these concise, pithy statements as well as the sentiments they encompass.

1) We are Broken

I am completely incapable of pleasing God in any way in and of myself. Any thought that shows up that is against the norm (complaining, selfish, arrogant) is God communicating with me. All love is from Him alone, which leads in to the next point...

2) All love is BORROWED from God.

No matter what, we cannot love on our own. Any expression or inkling of love we experience is God reaching out to us and inviting us to join him in true love. Any thought that is sacrificially motivating came from the Spirit, so I need to listen.

3) What lies have power over me?

This has really been profound of late. I realized last night that I have sunk my teeth deeply into several lies about God. 1) He doesn't really care. 2) He won't provide for my needs. 3) He's just screwing around with me to prove a point. I believe(d) (still working with God on rooting these out) these things and that drastically effected my relationship with him in light of the current set of circumstances.

4) God doesn't want me to be perfect (or act like it!), He just wants me to come to Him so he can heal me and fix me.

Yeah, this. It's so true. The sooner I realize I'm nothing but a wounded healer pointing people to the real deal, the smoother it will be on everyone (including myself). It gives me freedom to be real (with God AND others) and He blesses that with some incredible interaction and growth on all fronts.

5) Prayer works.

This is the very oxygen of the Christian's life... or at least it should be. But it's hard. It's something that has to be invested in, just like you have to seek to build into a friend, you must develop your relationship with God. It will take blood, sweat and tears (it cost Jesus all those things just to offer it, so it will cost you as well) to forge a friendship with the Almighty, but it's the only way to life the abundant life that Jesus promised.

Those are a quick sampling of the lessons God has been teaching me of late (6 would be that I don't trust God). Hopefully it was encouraging. 60-60E (the sixty-sixty experiment) starts Sunday, so that should be interesting. I can't wait. Bring it.

-Storyteller

No comments: